7.15.2005

Deathmatch: Potter

My theory - and this is only a theory - is that tonight's midnight release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is going to totally destroy this weekend's box office take. There's probably serious demographic overlap with the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory crowd and the Potter obsessives, and that's going to mess things up in terms of these kids wanting to do nothing all weekend but read the latest 600-page condensation of Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts. I wonder if a book release has ever affected the monetary take of a movie (or a TV show's ratings, for that matter). If this does happen - score one for the book industry! (Maybe I'll get some sort of goodwill "we defeated the enemy" paycheck bonus. Maybe puppies will magically appear in my apartment.) Still, if it were to happen - how phenomenal, in the most literal sense of the world. I wonder what overliteral Hollywood finance types would make of a book affecting their yield - would they try to shut down the publishing industry? Would they insist that the next Harry Potter book star Jessica Alba?

For the record, because I must feed my inner fangeek, right now, 14 hours before the book is released, I'm going to posit the following theories:
- Lupin will die.
- Harry and Ginny will flirt like nobody's business, and Ginny will in some way save the day (she and Neville are so JKR's favorite characters).
- Ron and Hermione will admit their love.
- Snape, as played by Alan Rickman, is totally hot in a greasy, evil way.

I have no idea who the Half-Blood Prince actually is, and I kind of don't care. At this point I am pretty much unconcerned with the plot, I think the writing is shoddy, and I'm frustrated by the one-dimensional characterization. So why am I lining up at midnight to get my pre-reserved copy of the book? Why does a junkie shoot up heroin? Let's just say my copy of Enduring Love by Ian McEwan will languish on the bedside table for at least 24 more hours. It's embarrassing, but admitting you have a problem is the first step, non?

No comments: