10.28.2005

a public service

I am actually a big fan of riding the subway to work every morning. It's a nice dose of alone time that gives my brain time to wake up before it is forced to do things like, for example, work. But there is always that horrible person who is listening to his or her iPod really, really, REALLY loudly, like they had suffered hearing loss as a small child when they stood too close to a 747 taking off or forgot to wear their ear tubes when diving into the deep end, and they are now forced to listen to Yellowcard or Linkin Park or some other such crap at top volume while the rest of us are busy mentally snarking on everyone else's outfits and trying to read Page Six over the shoulder of the old Asian woman sitting next to us. And it's always crap music like Yellowcard or Linkin Park. It's never anything really good that might make the morning commute really fun, like say Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen or Eternal Flame by the Bangles. Or even something worth showing off that you are listening to, like the latest pre-release single from the brother of the Arcade Fire's guitarist's band which you got the mp3 of from someone at like Misshapes or something. No. It is always Crap.

In honor of that, I present a tactful way to deal with the situation. Just print this out and make copies and hand it to whoever is rocking out to Creed or whatever. It's elegant. It's tasteful. It's subtle. It gets the job done.

1 comment:

Salam E. Skinner said...

When I was an undergrad my friend declared "One Step Closer" by Linkin Park to be the official song of our favorite course PHYS 20b Waves and Oscillations. This course was taught that year by a British postdoc who had no idea how little math American kids really knew. Read the lyrics while thinking about physics.

I cannot take this anymore
I'm saying everything I've said before
All these words they make no sense
I find bliss in ignorance
Less I hear the less you'll say
But you'll find that out anyway

Just like before...

[chours:]
Everything you say to me
Takes me one step closer to the edge
And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe
Cause I'm one step closer to the edge
And I'm about to break

I find the answers aren't so clear
Wish I could find a way to disappear
All these thoughts they make no sense
I find bliss in ignorance
Nothing seems to go away
Over and over again

Just like before

[chours (x2)]

shut up when I'm talking to you
shut up, shut up, shut up

I'm about to BREAK

[chours (x2)]