5.05.2006

i think my cookie is trying to tell me something

since it's friday i splurged a little bit at lunch, and got these weird japanese (or something) dippy cookies called Yam Yam, which are vaguely sweet but essentially neutral baked-good sticks which are sort of like handi-snax in that they come with a reservoir of stuff in which to dip them, though it's chocolate frosting (the package calls it "tasty choco cream") instead of that insanely delicious "cheese product." (side note: does anyone know where you can buy handi-snax cheese in bulk? because i am so there.)

Anyway. I have these from time to time because they remind me of my childhood, for reasons I can't recall (theory: I had them, once, as a child). Their flavor absolutely has not changed over the 20-odd years it's been since I first had them, and it's a totally proustian experience for me to bite into one. Nothing. Ever. Changes.

Except. Today I took a cookie out of the sort of cup-shaped thing they come in, and dipped it into the chocolate reservoir, and took a bite, and then noticed that there was something printed on the cookie.

BEWARE OF LIES
wtf? I pulled out another cookie.
HORSE. . . GALLOP AWAY
again, wtf? Turns out these cookies have what the package calls "fun lines," which apparently means the names of animals followed by something having to do with the animal. Here you go:
click to enlarge

The photo isn't super clear (a cameraphone can only do so much), but here's what the cookies say, from top to bottom:
CHICK - LUCKY COLOUR: YELLOW
SHEEP - WOOL SWEATERS
GIRAFFE - TALLEST MAMMAL
FROG - AMPHIBIAN
DUCK - GO FOR A SWIM
GOLDEN EGG
SQUIRREL - YOUR BEST FRIEND
PANDA - GO FOR MORE
OWL - ACTIVE AT NIGHT
CHICKEN - KOKEKOKKO
SEAL - LOVES TO SUN TAN
HORSE - GALLOP AWAY
[bite] - BEWARE OF LIES
So clearly there is absolutely nothing making sense here in terms of consistency. But here is what's killing me: what is the animal that is telling me to BEWARE OF LIES? I'm dying. I need to know. Ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly - and I know this is disappointing - it has to be a LION.

-Storey

Heather said...

Now I want to know too. I love your blog. You make me laugh, which I sorely needed this afternoon.

Anonymous said...

People? I think they are the only ones who have to worry about that. I was pondering that today as I watched a grackel stride confidently through landscaping foliage.