1.03.2007

not every single person in the world sucks

i have a mild addiction to personal grooming. i tend to justify it with the extremely useful-in-many-circumstances sentence "hey, it's better than heroin," but still it's kind of silly that someone of my age (young) and my income level (poverty-line) gets manicures with this frequency (frequent).

today i went to a new little nail spa that just opened near my office and got my usual paintjob and gave the nice lady my credit card and she came back and said it didn't go through. so i asked her to try again. and she tried again and came back and said it didn't go through, but it wasn't my card's fault - it was their machine's fault.

"but this card is all i haaaaave!" i wailed. i didn't actually wail. i sort of stated it matter-of-factly and wondered (not for the first time) what the hell actually happens when you can't pay for a service you have already recieved.

and then the nice lady said "i see you walking by every morning on your way to work. pay me tomorrow."

happy new year, nice manicure lady. i would have hugged you, but it would have smudged my nails.

2 comments:

Little Bill said...

I love stories like this. It's a nice reminder that not all New Yorkers are, in fact, jerks.

Mr Phipps said...

and then the nice lady said "i see you walking by every morning on your way to work..."

I'd change my route. she knows too much and is a liability. when some crazed donkey-a-day calendar writer comes to kill you they know exactly who to go for to get answers.