i went to the beard awards, and hijinx ensued. some highlights:
- there was a red carpet, and i walked it. (no one cared.)
- food professionals are easily distinguished from food groupies because, in an opposite scenario to normal celebrity/fan relationships, food professionals are oddly dressed and chubby, while food groupies are very thin and attractive. (i am, technically, both a professional and a groupie. so i compromised by being both nonthin and very well dressed.)
- Heather Storm, the incompetent host, accidentally referred to Bobby Flay as a "hoo-hoo honoree" instead of a "who's who honoree," which was hilarious because Bobby Flay is a total douche and, well, think about it.
- some unfortunate honorees had to walk up to the stage to the mournful opening strains of "American Pie" by Don McLean, which someone decided would be a brilliant musical cue apparently based entirely on the inclusion of the word "pie" in its title.
- Martha Stewart was there. She was (yes) wearing a look of barely-concealed disdain, and (no) not wearing an ankle lojack.
- there exists in Pittsburgh a restaurant that serves a sandwich that has french fries on the sandwich as a condiment. this restaurant was, appropriately, awarded an honor.
for the full story, check out my dispatch on the astonishingly well-written boston menupages blog* (basically eater for the boston crowd).
*our very own leila is its autheuse!