7.27.2007

chicken nuggets: the end, i swear

a followup on the chicken nugget concern of last week:

I finally got around to reading the chapter on McNuggets in The Omnivore's Dilemma, which I approached with quivery trepidation since, as google informs me, there is one ingredient discussed there that will blow your mind!!! and I didn't want to get knocked too far off my oh-so-high chicken nugget horse (note: that is an awesome mental image).

anyway here's what the book has to say about it:

But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness." According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget. Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse." Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill.”

Dun dun dunnnnnn. TBHQ, in sufficient doses, makes you die.

So what? So does table salt. Fun game? Feed twenty grams of Morton's to a toddler and then flee the country.* And, as wikipedia tells us, TBHQ is not a "form of butane" in the sense that, say, a mcnugget is a "form of chicken." it is a form of butane in the sense that a human being is a form of carbon. which is to say, it is ultimately comprised of some fundamental elements, but in fact it is a hydroquinine that has butylic elements, and if you still know what I'm talking about at this point I'm just going to turn the floor over to you.

Anyway, all the is a very roundabout and overly obsessive way of getting to the point that: chicken nuggets are delicious and will not kill you. please consume them. but not with ketchup, because that is disgusting.

*please do not actually kill children. they are cute.

5 comments:

-j. said...

I now have a mental image of people lighting their cigarettes/cigars/cigarillos/meerschaums with flaming McNuggets.

My day is complete.

La ReinaLexa said...

That was way too much information. I think I may vomit.

"I now have a mental image of people lighting their cigarettes/cigars/cigarillos/meerschaums with flaming McNuggets.

My day is complete."

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm just curious enough that I may do that. ;)

RW said...

I hear honey mustard dressing acts as an antidote though, ain't it?

a lady said...

how come I only saw this AFTER I caved and had chicken nuggets today?*

*extenuating circumstance: was on the way home from airport in missouri and hadn't eaten in 12 hours and all we kept passing were fucking mcdonalds. ugh.

Gray said...

Ketchup does so go with chicken nuggets!

I'll use ketchup on anything breaded, I think.