11.27.2007

If I had $1000...

It is pretty obvious what we'd all do if we had a million dollars, but here's a more realistic gedankenexperiment (gezundheit!): what would you do with a thousand?

A cool G is, well, cool, except when my retail paralysis sets in and I realize that if I spend a thousand bucks on a thing (or a set of things), it's most likely a one-time spree. A painfully beautiful purse would be awesome, but it's not like I can drop another thousand in a year when this one gets grody. A vacation (omg Iceland?) could be awesome, but I've always had a tough time spending money on experiences as opposed to objects. I totally covet this covetworthy dresser, and have for ages, but if I bought it I'd have to rearrange my furniture in a way that would actually require spending more money, which might bring the total above a thousand, and ultimately no one really sees my bedroom.

None of this is to say I actually have a thousand dollars to spend on anything. It is more to illustrate that my formidable powers of overanalysis can render joyless even the most inherently painless hypothetical.

like, for example, when I get faced with the "well seriously, what if I did have a million dollars?" question, I get sort of huffy because god, after all, a million bucks is like basically a studio apartment in Manhattan, and I wouldn't be able to afford the maintenance payments or the property taxes anyway.

6 comments:

Drew said...

I would toss it at my credit card/student loan debt. Creative, I know.

I think that a similar dresser is available at Ikea. Not quite as awe worthy, but affordable.

Angela said...

Seriously. I would probs spend way too much time thinking about what to buy, finally make a decision, and then realize that I'd already spent at least half on coffee/beer/magazines.

Kat said...

Mm. I don't like that dresser.

nadarine said...

Easy: a new macbook for the bf. I'm sick of sharing mine!

RW said...

1000 Lottery tickets...

ljd said...

twenty thousand pixy stix, obv.