12.03.2007

What Christmas means to me

Besides the undisputed juggernaut-champion of contemporary Christmas songs,* I think the best non-standard carol is "What Christmas Means To Me," as performed by such luminaries as Stevie Wonder and the Jackson 5. Also, on a lesser scale, by Hanson and by the Olsen twins.

What Christmas means to me, by and large, is bopping around the city simultaneously being Jewishly indignant about and secularly revelling in everyone's sudden affinity for particular color schemes and oddly nordic-inspired sweaters. Also, did you know that Nick and Jessica do a supremely kickass version of "Baby It's Cold Outside," which would count as a contemporary Christmas song except that it's about getting drunk and having sex.


*You should not have to reference this footnote to know that Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" is actually the best song of all time, period, and by the rule of sets and subsets is also therefore the best Christmas song.

3 comments:

joe said...

your "links" section reads, almost beautifully, like an "88 lines about 44 bloggers." Also, why am i "not heavy?" Is this a reference to the lighter nature of the content of my non-blog, or an allusion to my childhood fondness for bagels?

Rococo Cocoa is Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rococo Cocoa is Joe said...

My roomate (who is actually also my coworker) listens to "All I Want for Christmas is You" at least 4 times a day and also contends that it's the best song of all time.

She also want's to wear this at our Christmas Party:

http://pds4.egloos.com/pds/200612/18/05/c0022305_09120152.jpg