5.02.2008

playing chicken

I am a giant fan of Unfamiliar Fast Food. By this I basically mean that while I am bored by the standard McD/Wendy's/BK trifecta of ubiquity (with an exception for chicken nuggets), and am only very mildly excited about B-list counters like Arby's and White Castle, I will drive seventy-five miles out of my way in a snowstorm on my way to the birth of my own child to go to a fast food restaurant whose name I haven't heard before. When I was in LA last summer my major objective was to eat at at least one of In-n-Out, Carl's Junior, Jack-in-the-Box, and Del Taco. The fact that I visited none of these, and instead spent my time driving around in a convertible and visiting Legoland and consuming margaritas at Venice Beach, meant that, essentially, the trip was a giant failure.

My deep love for Unfamiliar Fast Food is so deep and such an essential fabric of my being that, a few months ago, Mr. B declared that he had a very special surprise for me and took me, by car, into the wilds of northern New Jersey, where he proceeded to pull into a mall parking lot, take me into the mall, up an escalator flight, to a food court that had a Chick-Fil-A, where he proceeded to buy me a sandwich. I love this man.

The rabid followers of Chick-Fil-A will completely grok that a single incidence of exposure to this chain leads to a case of I Need More Fried Chicken Sandwiches Now Please, which is unfortunate considering that I am in possession of neither a car nor an NYU student ID (the only Chick-Fil-A in the city is in the NYU student center), and it is unseemly in a grownup mature relationship for a girlfriend to beg and plead for her boyfriend to take her to the food court of the mall that is an hour away for dinner. So I am, as the kids say, fucked.

EXCEPT. Perhaps as a person in possession of DVR I missed some massive commercial fanfare, but DUDE. McDonald's has a Southern-Style Chicken Sandwich, which plenty of other bloggers have noted is a point-by-point replica of the classic Chick-Fil-A sandwich, down to the limitation to only two slices of pickle. And there is a McDonald's approximatly 100 vertical and 50 horizontal feet away from where I am sitting RIGHT NOW. Which most of the time is cause for much annoyance and holier-than-thou on my part. BUT TODAY IT IS AWESOME AND WONDERFUL AND A CAUSE FOR JOY.

I shall report back.

5 comments:

RW said...

Next time you are on the left coast I would recommend you try harder to get to an In n Out. Those fries are from potatoes they are skinning & cutting right there before your eyes and can't get fresher.

Then you can have your In n Out "animal style."

I know... they're very evocative on that side of the country.

Angela said...

I am constantly tormented by commercials for Sonic Burger, and their strange fruity diet drink concoctions. The fact that there isn't one within three hours' drive is hideously unfair.

Anonymous said...

For real. In n Out is the best fast food ever. Get a cheesburger "animal style" and a shake and fries. Your life will never be the same.

EL said...

Visit me in North Carolina and we'll go for Chick-Fil-A (which I've never had). We will also go to the pretty pretty Waffle House.

Cheryl said...

I'm pleased to see this McDonald's sandwich. You must report back soon. There's only one Chick Fil-A in DC and that's on AU's campus. On occasion, I have begged and pleaded for my boyfriend to stop at the Chick Fil-A in College Park, but clearly it cannot be a regular occurrence. Your post is my only hope.