1.30.2009

Oh My God Slashfood, Shut Up

This is very Inside Baseball, but evs. Over on the blog I get paid to write, we don't have what one might generously call a photography budget. In lieu of logging into Getty Images or sending my on-call staff photog off on assignment, I click on the advanced search button on Flickr and scroll through the Creative Commons-licensed images that are okay for commercial use.

There's often not a ton to choose from, so I'll have to get a little creative in my keywording to try to find something that's both attractive and relevant, but the one thing I try very very hard not to do (and it's not flawless, but it's a habit) is to choose a picture that isn't, like, one of the very first freaking pictures that come up for a presumably common-among-foodbloggers search like, oh I don't know, oysters. Or wine. I will use, oh gosh, the sixth picture. Or go to the third or fourth page and pick an image from there. Or something.

Anyway, maybe I am the only person in the entire world who looked at this Slashfood post from last week and thought "oh hey, they picked that very first picture of oysters that's okay for commercial use on Flickr!" Why do I know that? Because when I put up this post a few weeks ago, I passed right over that image because I was all "nah, it's the very first clean image in the queue, everyone is gonna use that one."

And maybe again I am the only person in the entire world who looked at this Slashfood post from today and was like SERIOUSLY, SLASHFOOD? YOU PICKED THE VERY FIRST FREAKING DECENT RESULT FOR "WINE"?! IS THAT REALLY HOW YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY IT? BECAUSE WHEN I RAN A WINE POST I HAD THE STRENGTH OF FINGERS TO SCROLL MY MOUSE WHEEL MORE THAN ONCE.

I mean, fuck it all, you're already twelve days behind the meme cycle and entirely devoid of original content that doesn't involve your head being up your ass and the few original photos you do upload look exactly like vomit but whatever. Don't bother clicking over to page 2 of your Flickr search results. Do it the lazy way. You think no one notices? I AM NOTICING. And the six people who read my blog? Now they know about it too. That's right. A grand total of SEVEN ENTIRE PEOPLE now know that you are complete Flickr weaksauce. Suck on it.

4 comments:

Eric P said...

we should team up and get righteously indignant at things on the improv circuit. i think we'd make bank

Marisa said...

Hey Helen,

Sorry that we've so disappointed you when it comes to our use of photography. We'll try to do better.

-Marisa

Anonymous said...

They're not even trying:
http://www.slashfood.com/2009/02/01/eggs-in-purgatory-recipe-and-video/

Michele@FineFuriousLife said...

I mean, I feel you, but as a frequent borrower from Flickr, I will acknowledge that CC-licensed photos are slim pickings!

Anyway, Slashfood has far, far deeper problems.